Meet our stylists who are here to create the perfect hairstyle for you!
We are trained in the latest cutting, styling and colouring techniques and are award-winning experts in afro, mixed race and multi-textured hair.
Great customer service is important to us so we will always listen to your needs and work with you to create a hairstyle you’ll love! We are a friendly and approachable group of professionals who look forward to welcoming you to Afrotherapy soon.
I love making people look and feel fantastic. I can't think of any other job that allows me to be able to do that everyday. It allows me to be able to express myself including my beliefs and values. It also gives me the opportunity to nurture and mentor young people. I find great satisfaction in seeing individuals I've trained progress and be successful. My job also allows me to meet different people from all walks of life. My clients have actually taught me a lot over the years through the interaction that we have and I love learning all the time, so this is a great aspect of my job. Who do you admire in the hairdressing industry and why?
There are so many brilliant individuals within the industry. Vidal Sassoon is a true inspiration and a great ambassador for the industry. Observing Errol Douglas over the years has taught me to never quit. I'm inspired by the creativity of people like Desmond Murray and Angelo Seminara. Also the longevity of people like Charlie Miller and how he has developed his team, kept it as a family business, yet inspired the team to achieve. I'm also inspired by women like Beverly Cobella and Fiona O'Brien who are leaders in their field, yet have to maintain a family balance.
From the perspective of the business side of the industry, I admire Toni Mascolo of Toni & Guy for their business acumen. What awards have you won over the years?
I have been fortunate enough to have won several Business & Hairdressing Awards. These include:
- Winner, Styling Team of The Year - Black Beauty/WAHL Awards
- Finalist, L'Oreal Colour Trophy - Mizani Afro Look Award
- National Finalist - HSBC Start Up Awards
- Winner, Rising Star of The Year - Black Enterprise Awards
- Finalist, Avant Garde Stylist of The Year - Black Beauty/WAHL Awards
- Finalists in 3 categories of the Business Link For London Excellence Awards
- Regional Finalist - Shell Livewire Young Entrepreneur of The Year
- Winner, Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year - Afro Hair and Beauty
Some Recent Clients Styled by Harriet[nggtags gallery=harriet]
- Winner, Braid Stylist of The Year 2015 - Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2015
- Finalist, Avant Garde Stylist of The Year 2015 - Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2015
- 2nd Place Winner, Fantasy Stylist of The Year - Afro Hair & Beauty Show 2015
- Winner, Avant Garde Stylist of The Year 2014 - Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2014
- Winner, Braid Stylist of The Year 2014 - Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2014
- Winner, Fantasy Stylist of the Year - Afro Hair & Beauty Show 2014
- Finalist, L'Oreal Colour Trophy - Mizani Afro Look Award 2014
- Winner, Avant Garde Stylist of The Year - Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2013
- Finalist, Braid Stylist of The Year - Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2013
- Finalist, Styling Team of The Year - Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2013
- Winner, Fantasy Stylist of The Year - Afro Hair & Beauty Show 2013
Some Recent Clients Styled by Michelle[nggtags gallery=michelle]
From a young age I knew I was creative rather than academic and I wanted to do Drama, but my mum insisted I did Health & Social Care, which I started but really didn't enjoy it. I really didn't feel it was for me. One day a friend was going for an interview at a local hairdressing salon and I decided to go along with her. To my surprise, I was also offered a job and I haven't looked back since. I love doing hair, I love meeting new people and I love the industry. My dream is to one day open a Hairdressing Training Academy and to inspire other young people into the industry. Who's Hair Would You Most Like To Style & why?
I'm a typical hairdresser, and I'm always looking at people's hair and picturing in my mind how I could create a new look or figuring out what style would suit them better. I enjoy making my clients feel happy about themselves How Do You Describe Your Sense of Style?
I would say uncomplicated, classy and natural What makes you laugh?
I can laugh at most things. I even make myself laugh sometimes:) Which Type of Hairstyles Do You Absolutely Love to Create?
I would love to say am a fashionista but unfortunately that would be untrue! I am still working on my style. I normally just throw things together - it seems to be working at the moment. However, in terms of my hairstyles they are always big and a bit avant garde, I love red hair - not too bright, more of a burgundy colour. Who Do You Most Admire and Why?
The one person I find myself watching and listening to on a regular basis is Judge Lynn Toler, an American Lawyer who also talks a lot about relationships and empowering young people. I find her to be honest and motivational What Qualifications Do You Have Or Are Currently Working Towards?
I have NVQ Level 2 and Level 3 in Hairdressing from Newham College. I also did a short course in Weave Installation and Wig Making. In the future, I would love to pursue a teaching qualification. Have you won any awards?
I have won a couple of awards whilst I was training at Newham College. However, I feel that at Afrotherapy, I'm now in a salon where I can explore my creativity and would love to compete for Natural Hair, Weave, Bridal and Avant-Garde.
- Customer Service Award, Newham College
- Best Colour Application, Newham College