Are Diabetes and Thyroid Issues Causing Hair Loss in Black Men and Women?
There are many reasons why men and women may suffer hair thinning or hair loss, with diabetes and thyroid problems among them. The experts at Afrotherapy Hair Salon in Edmonton, London, explore the reasons why this may be and possible solutions to alleviate the problems your hair may face.
Hair Loss Caused By Thyroid Problems
The thyroid is essential in the production of hormones necessary in regulating many bodily processes. The fluctuation of thyroid hormones in the body may cause your hair growth cycle to falter.
If a thyroid disorder causes your hair loss, then you should treat the condition first to restore normal growth cycle. If you suspect that you have the symptoms of a thyroid problem, you should visit your doctor right away. There are also natural ways to help treat thyroid disorders.
- Increasing your protein intake is on natural way to help your thyroid. Among the best sources of protein are nuts, antibiotic-free animal products, seeds and beans.
- Increasing the level of essential minerals and micro-nutrients in your diet, including Omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, selenium, iron, Vitamin A, B-vitamins, Vitamin D, iodine, and copper. These nutrients can correct any imbalance or disorder that affects your thyroid, targeting its common symptoms, such as hair loss.
Hair Loss Caused By Diabetes
Diabetes can have many adverse affects on the body, including hair loss or thinning hair: although in many cases this is not permanent. Diabetes hair loss is very complicated and it can be difficult to pinpoint exactly what might be causing your hair loss, although there are a few common causes including:
- Hormonal Imbalance – Fluctuating hormone levels due to diabetes can negatively affect the regeneration process of hair follicles and lead to hair loss.
- Emotional Stress – Diabetes is an ongoing condition that can be difficult to cope with, leading to chronic emotional stress, which has been linked to the onset of alopecia areata, or patchy hair loss.
- Medication – A variety of different medications prescribed for conditions that may be associated with diabetes, may cause hair loss.
How Can You Reduce Hair Loss Caused By Diabetes and Thyroid Problems?
While hair loss can be extremely distressing and can affect your confidence, there is good news. Most hair loss casued by thyroid issues and diabetes are not permanent and can be reversed with the right approach. We have some tips on how to treat or manage your hair loss:
- Speak with your GP – Hair loss is quite complex and can exist for a number of reasons, not always relating to diabetes or thyroid problems.
- Avoid tension on your hair – wear braids looser, reduce styling. Speak to an Afrotherapy specialist about what you can do.
- Have a conditioning treatment – We have a wide range of hair and scalp treatments at Afrotherapy Hair Salon.
- Take supplements – Increase your healthy foods and speak with your GP about adding supplements to your diet.
Book an Appointment at Afrotherapy Hair Salon in Edmonton, London
At our Afrotherapy Hair Salon in Edmonton we can offer advice to help you with any hair issues you may be experiencing and work with you to find a hairstyle that can help you to disguise your hair loss. We can also share our knowledge of some great products that promote healthy hair growth. To book in please call us on 020 8345 5621, book in for a consultation using the form below or book your hair appointment online here.