Say hello to our Stylist Michelle who tells us what she loves loves the hairdressing industry and working at Afrotherapy…
Which hairstyle, colour or treatment do you absolutely love to create and why? There are many hairstyles that I love creating, it is very had to pick which I would say is my absolute favourite; however if I have to choose I would say the 40s waves, I absolutely love all hairstyles from the 40s, so classic, sexy and elegant. I am a big fan of the old black and white movies, I love this hairstyle as seen worn by movie stars such as Rita Hayworth, Katherine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers just to name a few.
Why do you love working at Afrotherapy? I love working at Afrotherapy because we are more of a family than just colleagues, we have a great support system from the salon partners, Joseph and Harriet Cudjoe, absolutely the best employers I have had, They are always there to guide, nurture and show support whether it’s work-related or personal. I have grown, matured and realised my full potential as a hairdresser since I joined Afrotherapy, so I love where I work. I am thankful everyday that I work at Afrotherapy.
What makes you laugh? Different things make me laugh. It’s hard to pinpoint one individual thing but I can name a few, watching re-runs of “Friends” (one of my favourite programmes), my son when he’s trying to act innocent and shy, Kevin Hart (one of the funniest comedians), reminiscing with my sisters about the things we used to do when we where young.
How would you describe your sense of style? I would love to say am a fashionista but unfortunately that would be untrue! I am still working on my style. I normally just throw things together – it seems to be working at the moment. However, in terms of my hairstyles they are always big and a bit avant garde, I love red hair – not too bright, more of a burgundy colour.
Who do you most admire? I admire quiet a lot of people. In the hairdressing industry I admire the great and iconic hairdressers such as Vidal Sasson, Angelo Seminara, Trevor Sorbie, and Laetitia Guenoau to name a few. However, I admire my mum most of all because she is a hard working, kind, caring woman and is always there for me no matter what. She has and continues to do a lot for our family.
Have you won any awards? I started entering awards in my first year of joining Afrotherapy Salon and so far I have won the following awards. Hopefully there’s more to come:
- Winner, Braid Stylist of The Year 2015 – Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2015
- Finalist, Avant Garde Stylist of The Year 2015 – Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2015
- 2nd Place Winner, Fantasy Stylist of The Year – Afro Hair & Beauty Show 2015
- Winner, Avant Garde Stylist of The Year 2014 – Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2014
- Winner, Braid Stylist of The Year 2014 – Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2014
- Winner, Fantasy Stylist of the Year – Afro Hair & Beauty Show 2014
- Finalist, L’Oreal Colour Trophy – Mizani Afro Look Award 2014
- Winner, Avant Garde Stylist of The Year – Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2013
- Finalist, Braid Stylist of The Year – Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2013
- Finalist, Styling Team of The Year – Black Beauty / Sensationnel Awards 2013
- Winner, Fantasy Stylist of The Year – Afro Hair & Beauty Show 2013
Michelle gives us some insider information on the science of afro hair. Read it here…
Some Recent Clients Styled by Michelle
no images were found